Friday, December 1, 2017

Kaleidoscope of Butterflies #23

Cathy and I have decided this will be the last linkup for Kaleidoscope of Butterflies for a while. We've enjoyed the quilts, butterfly photos, and ideas for creating butterfly-friendly gardens. We hope you have too.

A few weeks ago QS captured some wonderful images of milkweed in her yard: a pod bursting with seeds...

The cottony fluff transports milkweed seeds on the wind.
Milkweed seeds with fluff

and blowing in the wind.

Milkweed seeds in autumn.
Milkweed seeds ready to float away

No live butterflies around here but I beaded one for the second Christmas stocking. Of course, the original idea was to bead a monarch but there's no need to be literal. I originally intended to let some of the felt show like the other ornaments. Got a little carried away. The mitten looks sweet. The snowman's carrot nose is perfect but he needs coal eyes. And it's all sewn down. Oops. You can tell I don't bead much: no consistent style but it's fun to try to figure these designs out. As long as they are bright and colorful, I think the grandchildren will be pleased.

Beaded Christmas stocking: snowman, tree, mitten, butterfly
Beaded Christmas Stocking in progress

Several of the vintage fabric Chinese Coins are sewed into pairs and on the design wall. [For a nanosecond I considered making it completely random, without any layout. Fortunately I returned to my senses.] The fabrics are mostly blue, white, cream, and black although the two curtain cutoffs were cream with light green or red pinstripe plaid. I envision this quilt as quiet and old-fashioned but... it's just too quiet.

I found one purple polka dot remnant from my sister's apron which inspired me to add a few more purples.

Still too quiet.

It got a bit better when I added a few greens but...

What about a bit of red?

Chinese Coin strips from vintage fabrics are sewn into a quilt top
Laying out pairs of
Chinese Coins into a quilt top

Enjoy the day, Ann

InLinkz removed because it was hacked.

8 comments:

PaulaB quilts said...

I like the fact that you are really looking at the coins in terms of color brightness. When I did my low key batik blocks I added one little piece of bright orange-yellow in each row and everyone loved those. Those little touches of red you're adding are good. I find orange and lime green, even turquoise pack a punch. Keep up the good work!

Ann said...

I don't think I've ever made a one-color quilt. It surprised me that this top was so close to that. Adding one color at a time is a completely different way to work for me. Usually I pull fabrics I like and add things to make them go together. I looked at your top with the orange strips and see it works with color similarly: a background color wash or single color then small bits of bright color to pop. Thanks. I hadn't considered this aspect.

Janie said...

Your beaded butterfly is great, super Christmas stocking, I love it!

Ann said...

Thanks, Janie. You are a better beader than I so that means a lot.

Monica said...

I'm sorry to hear this is the last one for a while, but I know my participation has been very sporadic. Too many choices! Love the milkweed photos, though. :D

Ann said...

Thanks, Monica.

Julierose said...

Love the snowman on this one--he looks so laid back lol all your stockings are beautiful thanks for the links..hugs, julierose

Ann said...

I'm delighted you like this one, Julie Rose. It's one of my favorites, too.